8/7/10

The Weekender: First Edition

     Seeing as how we take Sundays off 'round these parts, I have deemed Saturday "Recap Day" when it comes to the blog. Future installments of "The Weekender" (pretty catchy, right?) will include weigh in results, food diaries, findings from the field, and assorted scuttlebut. Big things and huge steps to report this week, though.

     First of all, I am very happy to report an increase in overall mobility after just two weeks of not hardcore dieting, but simply reducing my portions and making good and learned choices at the drive thru or grocery aisle. "Now, wait just a minute, my zaftig friend!" You may be yelling at your monitor right now "DRIVE THRU!!! That don't sound like healthy options!" To which I will first refer you to the NO DICKWAD ZONE sign that hangs over the doorway to this humble blog, and then tell you that you can still make healthy choices and eat well, and not eat just boneless skinless chicken.

How do I know this?

     My Mom, ever the vigilant warrior, sent me a copy of a book called "Eat This! Not That!" which is basically about eating healthy in the real world. You know, the Real World?  The world where most of us spend most of our days either at work, running around like headless poultry, or both? The world where we don't always have time to fix ourselves a garden fresh salad made of the finest Romein lettuce and Arugula leaves? Yeah, that real world. Obviously, the book doesn't teach thinness by way of The Whopper, but it offers a wealth of information about what the healthiest choices are at pretty much any chain restaurant you'll be eating. Bigger than that, it taught me a lesson in portion control that not only is feasible in my mind, but it's not an earth shattering change.
     Myself being a man who knew not of this mythical "controlling of portions" you speak of, is learning that simply cutting back on the simple amount of what I eat can pay dividends. Like I said earlier, I've only lost a little bit of weight, but I can already feel the change in my body. My job is very demanding physically and it requires being out and about in this punishing heat. Usually I could keep up, but not without my share of huffing and puffing. Now, I can get in there and do some heavy lifting and work up a good sweat without sounding like an iron lung in the process!

     On another note, I'd like to welcome my first 5 followers! Ok, Ok, they're made exclusively of people I know, but, hey, least they're following! You guys, spread the word! Let em know what I got going on over here! Bring me your chunky, your husky, your fat, and your round! We're all about the big people love here! Who knows? Maybe this blog could be the start of a support network amongst ourselves, leading to some interesting and frank discourse on the weight loss game. As always, I love reading the comments you leave either here or on my Facebook, and thank you all for the continued support.

Until next time, you stay classy.

3 comments:

  1. hey, good to hear you are making some progress, I just started on that journey myself and I know it can be very hard. I like the idea of supporting each other, so I will try to keep up with you : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff,
    I'm proud of you for taking these steps. I, too fight "The Beast" every day and often meet with limited success. Currently, I'm bout 2 weeks out of the gym and need to go back. Keep it up. It's working and will continue to. All the best- Cade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love "Eat this! Not that!" It's really changed the way I shop (I have the grocery one). It's amazing what's hidden away in things that are marketed as healthy!

    Good luck on the journey, Jeff!

    ReplyDelete